Sunday, September 25, 2005

Gameday Recap


Got that mighty close view. Second in front!

After going to ESPN Gameday yesterday, I am convinced that there is no other single school in the nation that has as much school spirit as VT. Saturday was just one of the many ways to prove this true. Arriving four and a half hours early at 6:00 (ON A SATURDAY MORNING) for the ESPN Gameday showing, I thought I would be one of the 'hardcore' Hokie fans. This was not to be. There must have been well over 150 students already there at the time, with a small group who had even camped out all night. With all the people there, I was fortunate enough to hustle my way to the second row though of the people waiting and eventually get a good view of the event. Later on when the show had gotten underway I asked those in front of me how long they have been standing in line to wait, to which they replied 1:30 A.M.

Wow--standing upright in place for 9 hours just to get a front-row view of the Gameday. Classic.

Hokie school spirit was even more noticeable by the amount of hostitility the crowd showed. After it was all said and done yesterday, we Virginia Tech fans made two things obvious: We hate anything non-Hokie, and we really hate Lee Corso. In fact, with tons of signs anti-Corso, one student came with a sign saying "We Love Our Corso", to which other students yelled to him fight threats, names, and even chants of "Go Home!"

Even worse though were the signs directed at Georgia Tech quarterback Reggie Ball, who was diagnosed with viral meningitis last weekend. Some signs were extremely clever and funny, making you laugh out loud. At the same time though, they just made you shake your head in disbelief, they were so wrong. A fan on my left jokingly said it best, after viewing some of the signs in the crowd by stating, "Virginia Tech has no soul." All I could do was laugh at an innocent comment like that, but after actually putting some thought into it, I realized, damn we really are mean!

With that being said, here are a couple of the signs I saw and remember:

1. Got Meningitis?
2. Reggie, Please Don't Get Us Sick
3. I'd rather have two Vicks than one Ball
4. My Tech is Bigger Than Yours
5. Ron Mexico For President
6. Georgia Tech Was My Safety School
7. I Dare You To Pick Georgia Tech (Displayed over a picture of lightning striking Lane Stadium, and assumedly Lee Corso's rental car)
8. She looked 18
9. Running with Imoh-tion
10. Our Jimmy is BIgger Than Your Johnson
11. Choose wisely, Corso (With lightning striking his car in the background)
12. A Little Vick is better than One Ball
13. Corso, Who Ya' Pickin'? (With a cloud and lightning underneath)
14. 1 Man; 1 Plane: 64 Beers; Boggs; 3:16
15. Wade Boggs Cheats at Candyland
Yes, I was standing right in front of the students holding these Wade Boggs signs, with #14 on the front, and #15 on the back. Withstanding a lie, they told me that they were responsible for making the infamous sign a couple years back stating "Wade Boggs once drank 64 Beers on a cross-country flight." For being so random it received significant airtime on ESPN's debate show "Pardon the Interruption", as well as even forcing Wade Boggs to silence rumors by publicly stating that the sign was not true.

The people responsible for those signs were definitely some of the most creative and funniest people I ever met. Made the Gameday experience that much more fun. Later on, after the showing was done, it was great to watch the Battle of the Techs, with the real one coming out on top. Go Hokies! I honestly thought though of this game to be a close one, not a 51-7 blowout amongst two of the best teams in the ACC. WIth this win I really don't see anyone giving us a real challenge except Miami in November. Our defense is too strong and the Imoh/Humes/Vick combination in the backfield is unstoppable and too durable for anyone to put a lockdown on.

So with the convincing win, is it time to start crying out "Pasadena?"

Hm, not exactly, so in the mean time, let's stick with "See you in Jacksonville."

Until then, West Virginia next week.

8 comments:

lucky said...

Atlanta Media Bloggers Group-09/29
Description: Participants will share best practices and tools for blogging, podcasting, RSS and other forms of new media communications.
I was just surfing and found your site! I think you'll be interested in this related website.mesothelioma result treatment They have a very interesting article posted there.

therichjerk101 said...

Houston Chronicle recruits bloggers to help cover storm
The Houston Chronicle set up a special Weblog to cover Hurricane Rita written by about a dozen hand-picked readers - and posted unedited.
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a "the rich jerk" site. It pretty much covers "the rich jerk" related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

blogpromo said...

Joining the Chorus of Disapproval
I think it's fair to say that in the last few years, Macs running OS X have become widely used among a certain section of the weblogging and tech conference-going digerati; when one of the best known people in ...

Hey, I really like your blog, bye the way
I have a making money online site/blog. It pretty much covers online work that can make you a nice 2nd income!

You should come and check it out
if you get time :-)

Daniel/Rose said...

Hey, you have a nice and great blog here! I'm going to bookmark

this page!

I have a

href="http://www.epimesafinancial.com">emerald passport


site/blog. It pretty much covers emerald passport related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Regards!

Blogging Blogging Queen said...

I skim a lot of blogs, and
so far yours is in the Top 3
of my list of favorites. I'm
going to dive in and try my
hand at it, so wish me luck.

It'll be in a totally different
area than yours (mine is
about keyword bidding)
I know, it sounds strange, but it's
like anything, once you learn more
about it, it's pretty cool.

If you don't mind, I'd really appreciate
being able to come back and get a
few tips and suggestions from you,
if that's alright, alright?

Thanks,
Tiffany Burrell
Keyword Queen!
ps. I confess, that's not my real picture! :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi! You've got a great blog here! Keep it up....

I have a internet marketing solution site. It pretty much covers internet marketing solution related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi, your blog is great . I was just out blog surfing for detailed info on japanese bonsai when I ended up on your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I did. If you wouldn't mind, I would like to post your link on my "favorites" page. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about japanese bonsai

mike said...

This is what you get when you google blogs for "64 beers"
63 more google beers on the wall.

http://minnnesotamiddle.blogspot.com/