Monday, September 19, 2005

Hokies 45, Bobcats 0


Yawn.

For the second week in a row the Hokies got the shutout.

For the second week in a row, I almost fell asleep during the second half.

I had the wonderful 'thrill' of watching the game in person, and for the entire first half, the half that was somewhat interesting, I thought the Hokies looked good for a grand total of two plays. The first play occurred on the opening drive of the game for the Hokies, when Marcus Vick completed a 52-yard pass to receiver David Clowney [pictured above]. Vick couldn't have thrown a better pass, and Clowney showed great hands in making the difficult grab. The only other play of the opening half that I was satisfied with was another Vick completion -- this time a 28-yard touchdown to tight end Jeff King in the dying minutes of the second quarter.

In between those two plays however, Coach Beamer's squad was nowhere even close to playing like the fourth ranked team in the nation. I mean, think about it -- on our first drive we had to settle for a field goal. Later we were stuffed on 4th and goal on the 1 yard line. Yes, later we did score on a 1-yard run by Cedric Humes, but realistically we were only reluctant enough to score on that possession due to the great field position we gained after an Ohio turnover. And I'm not sure about you, but I don't really consider grabbing an interception against the Ohio Bobcats [WOW] something really worth jumping for joy. In reality our defense wasn't doing anything spectacular against such a scrub team.

Now with that being said, let me break down my experience on opening day. As I mentioned, I had the unfortunate privilege of having to sit through this showing of mediocrity in person. Ignorantly arriving only 15 minutes before kickoff, the entire student section was filled, with even the aisles in a complete standstill. With no seats to be seen, my three friends and I were forced to stand amongst the walkways and look over the shoulders of students, just to catch a glimpse of the game.

All this time I thought to myself, could it be any hotter? If you were there, you know exactly what I'm saying. I don't know why either, but every SINGLE afternoon Hokie game I've been to has been like 400 degrees outside, easy. It's ridiculous.

One quarter of that nonsense was enough. It was time to relocate. There was only one section of the stadium with empty seats, the South End Zone. To get there we only had to claw, scratch, and wrestle our way through what seemed to be all 25,000 students in Blacksburg. About 30 minutes later we finally made it across the stadium. It was my first time to the North End Zone, and I swear from up there we could see the entire campus, it was so high. One problem existed with being up there, we couldn't really see make out the players and the action. It felt like we were 100,000 feet above sea level. It was so bad up there that I almost lost consciousness from the lack of oxygen in the air.

Well not really, but we were sitting up pretty high. Making out numbers on jerseys was a tough feat in itself. Though the game was not very interesting, the spectator experience became more enjoyable. The heat died down and a nice breeze picked up. Also, we were able to actually sit down and watch the action -- something that is utterly impossible to do in the student section. I mean I'm all for showing school spirit and cheering your team on, but standing up for three hours non-stop is some bullshit. I really ain't down for that.

Also, the atmosphere in the South End Zone is completely different from its opposite, and in turn the game experience is a totally different one. We were surrounded by Moms, Dads, Grandparents, Uncles, Aunts, and their younger children. I almost felt out of place. There was no cursing, screaming, or yelling, and not one single drunk person. The stands were full of calm and collected adults and their children just trying to enjoy the game, clapping for the occasional good play. This relaxed mood was in a way enjoyable, and I really didn't have any complaints with anybody.

[I did want to knock out some lady though, after her punk ass spilled Sprite on the back of my shirt and jeans.]

All in all though, it was an enjoyable experience for such a boring game. After watching the Hokies play like trash for the first 30 minutes, they picked it up in the second half and got the blowout. Once again I was impressed with Marcus Vick's play. The kid had no turnovers, and in fact scored three touchdowns -- two through the air and one on the ground.

Cedric Humes impressed me as well, rushing 15 times for 75 yards and two TDs, including a pretty 33-yard score up the middle in the third quarter. I really like how Humes and Mike Imoh compliment the pass, and take a lot of pressure on Marcus to make the throws necessary to spread out the field. Though Humes had a very respectable day, he still trails Imoh in season rushing yardage, down by 17 yards, 151-168.

With that being said, this upcoming game looks to be a much better one, as the Hokies host the Yellow Jackets of Georgia Tech. Should be less of a test than N.C. State, but it has potential to be a close, intense game. I'll be looking to see how cornerback Jimmy Williams will cover GT standout receiver Calvin Johnson. Should be a very interesting matchup.

Fortunately for me I have a ticket to that game too, so until then...

2 comments:

DeanaPsychic said...

##Psychic Reading##

tonyyy said...

A Better MP3 Web Browser
I once asked an executive from Columbia House how the giant record club picked the 30-second audio previews it put online.
Love your blog ! I'm bookmarking you!

I have a millionaires site/blog. It touches on millionaires related stuff.

Check it out if you get time :-)